• Advent Action toy drive underway through Dec 14 AM

Filed under News, Showcase

Students set aside fears to share the “gift of life”

Back to Article
Back to Article

Nick Kennedy, Boomer Kubik, and Sean Gooseherst were among the almost 50 MC students who volunteered to donate blood on November 29.

Matt Martinez

Matt Martinez

Matt Martinez

Junior Oskar Matushek stated he was “good, but scared.” Michael Risley, another junior, admitted being “a little nervous.”

Since 2004, Mount Carmel has provided several opportunities each year for students and faculty to donate blood and share “the gift of life.”

Mrs. Julie Chappetto, a member of Mount Carmel’s art department, is the individual who has organized the blood drive throughout that period.  She stated that the blood donations “are not just for accidents.” They can be used for surgeries, to treat cancer patients, or to help premature babies survive the first few weeks of life.

Roughly 50 students signed up for the event on November 29, including faculty like Assistant Dean Lorenzo Nunez, who had a personal reason for participating.

Nunez’s father went through many surgeries and he needed a lot of blood. In appreciation for those whose generosity helped his father, Nunez wanted to give back.  Besides, he added, “I have a lot of blood, so why not give it away?”

While many of the students understandable felt nervous, they all agreed it was worth it.

After the donation, Matushek felt “alright,” and felt good about “doing the right thing by donating blood to help people.” He also had a personal reason to give. “I got a blood transfusion when I was a baby, so I wanted to donate.”

Risley, who admitted afterwards that he had “started to sweat and got nauseous,” ended up feeling glad he had done it.

He summed up the sentiments of  just about everyone who participated, “I am happy that I am able to help people in need.”

About the Writer
Matthew Martinez, Staff Writer

Matthew Martinez, born in Chicago, goes to Mount Carmel High School on the South Side of Chicago. He went to grade school at St. John the Baptist in Whiting,...

• Students set aside fears to share the “gift of life”

News

Advent Action fosters generosity, lightens hearts

News

McGuire’s Studium takes action

• News

Interesting opportunity for MC upperclassmen

News

A memorable night at “Mom prom”

News

Lieser excited about Saturday’s entrance exam

• News

STEM Cohort sponsors Vex Robotics experience

News

Frosh experiencing their first exams

News

MC choir, band showcase talent

• News

New grading scale well received by students

News

Tiger Woods to tee off on new design for South Shore and Jackson Park courses