• Caravan volleyball & baseball compete for regional championships this weekend

Filed under Sports

MC tennis prepares for season

Back to Article
Back to Article

MC tennis prepares for season

MC tennis faces an uphill challenge playing on substandard courts at Jackson Park.  (photo credit:  Matthew Martinez)

MC tennis faces an uphill challenge playing on substandard courts at Jackson Park. (photo credit: Matthew Martinez)

Mount Carmel’s tennis team has it’s first match this week, on Thursday, March 14, at Marmion Academy.

The team has worked hard the past few months with indoor conditioning to stay fit. The team had its first outdoor scrimmage at Jackson Park on Wednesday, March 6, and according to the new coach, Dr. Mike Rodgers, it went quite well. However, the team also will be practicing indoors at XS Tennis and Education Foundation, located at 53rd and State Street in Chicago.

The varsity roster consists of many seniors: Tom Dart, Nico Padilla, David Gutierrez, Owen Madrigal, and Matthew Martinez. It also includes two juniors, Aidan Fitzpatrick and Adam Fitch. Despite this core of returning players, the team is open to additional try-outs, particularly from the freshman/sophomore classes.  Sophomore Artem Massey is the only underclassmen on the roster currently.

When the team travels to Marmion this week, it will have had only four scrimmages in which to prepare. However, even though Rodgers has Robotics and STEM classes to worry about, he is working hard helping the players get better everyday.

With the team made up of players with different abilities, Rodgers teaches both the mechanics and techniques of the game, and focuses on the players who have had less experience with the game.

The team has seven matches scheduled this year prior to playoffs. While last year’s record last was not great (1 – 6), under Doc Rodgers’ coaching, there’s hope to win more games this season and go further in the playoffs.

• MC tennis prepares for season

Sports

Why soccer?

• MC tennis prepares for season

Sports

That championship feeling

• Sports

Rugby closes out season with playoff loss

• MC tennis prepares for season

Sports

A playoff without LeBron James – finally

• MC tennis prepares for season

Sports

MC rugby rebounds and dubs Fenwick

• MC tennis prepares for season

Sports

A golf comeback to be remembered forever

• MC tennis prepares for season

Sports

The tradition of baseball at MC

• MC tennis prepares for season

Sports

Turnaround season; epic playoff run for MC basketball

• Sports

Redic earns Lawless Award for basketball

• Sports

NBA players show off at skills competitions

MC tennis prepares for season