• Alek Thomas named Gatorade Baseball Player of Year in Illinois

Filed under Opinion

Some call for greater choice in curriculum

Zion Mallette '17 feels the requirement of 4 yeas of high school math is excessive.

Some Mount Carmel students feel that the classes they are forced to take are useless and don’t offer any useful knowledge for the future. So, the Caravan decided to ask a sample of students from each grade level to identify some new ideas for classes.

Despite the fact that generations have appreciated the profound insights of Shakespeare, some current students feel he has less to offer this generation. Senior Ikenna Asonye recalls that, “We read Shakespeare our freshman year, and now (as) seniors we’re learning about Shakespeare again – a man who probably never existed. I really wish they gave us the option to read modern literature.”  Asonye thinks if school offered classes that teach valuable life skills like “how to file taxes, change a flat tire, how to apply for a mortgage,” students would be much better prepared for their futures “than learning about Macbeth.”

Junior Ryan Jones offered the suggestion that sign language would be a useful tool. “I think having the ability . . . to communicate with someone who can not speak . . . is very useful.”  He pointed out that sign language “is a unique way to communicate . . .  and you never know when you’ll meet someone who can’t speak”

Sophomore, Zion Mallette is interested in a course in business management focused specifically on the music industry. Mallette plans to major in music management in college, but feels that there would be an advantage in getting started learning about advertising and marketing while in high school.

Both Jones and Mallette feel that math isn’t as necessary after sophomore year once the basic concepts have been taught.” According to Mallette, there are (concepts) that you learn later on in your high school career that’ll never benefit you in life, especially if you’re going into an industry that doesn’t involve complex math.”

Freshman Nico Padilla would like to replace World History with 3D art “because there’s so much you could do with the craft of digital design inside of school and outside.” Padilla is convinced that this skill could be useful “for when there’s a project due, if you want to make your own game, and if you want to just create some amazing art to share with the community.”

Since Mount Carmel is a college preparatory school it’s unlikely that any of these changes will be made, even if many students would like to see them happen.  If nothing else, maybe our school at least should grant students a greater choice in designing curriculum.