• Caravan defeats St. Laurence 40 - 0; Fenwick next in season finale

Filed under News, Showcase

Esteemed editor Bernard Judge visits Carmel

Last Wednesday, November 1, award winning editor Bernie Judge visited Mount Carmel. Mr. Judge is famous for his years working in Chicago’s newspapers, such as the Chicago Tribune and the Chicago Sun-Times. He ran many newsrooms, and edited thousands of stories. Judge also directed two investigative reporter projects that won the Pulitzer Prize.

When Judge visited Carmel, he toured the school alongside Mr. Vrechek, a moderator for the Mount Carmel Newspaper. One of his stops was Coach Antonietti’s room where he witnessed his Mandarin-4 class practice their characters. While there, Coach Antonietti explained all the new ways technology at Carmel helps with teaching.

After that, Judge sat down with the 21st Century Media class, and talked about how he rose to become an editor and manager for several prominent Chicago newspapers such as the Sun-Times. He also answered questions about his career, such as the favorite article he worked on and his favorite media outlet he worked for.

Most importantly, he gave advice on journalism to all those listening, such as if you are not sure if something is true, do not report it. Armed with this new advice, the students who write for the newspaper are now more effective and ready to write better and more accurate stories for the Caravan and the Caravan Broadcast Network.

About the Writer
Andrew Walsh, Staff Writer

Raised Catholic in Beverly’s Fisher Parish, senior Andrew Walsh came to Mount Carmel after years of looking forward to attending Mount Carmel like most everyone in his family had before. Andrew came in knowing he was going to play hockey for Carmel, which he has continued for all four years. He also picked up a new sport in water polo, where he has played every position. Andrew is also involved in other non-athletic clubs at Carmel, including the Writing Club, Scholastic Bowl, and more recently the Caravan Broadcast Network (CBN). Writing is something Andrew enjoys, which helps him in his honor and AP classes. By writing for The Caravan and CBN, Andrew hopes to improve his writing skills and possibly purse something English related in college. But the future is still open for whatever road is the most appealing.

• News

New grading scale well received by students

• Esteemed editor Bernard Judge visits Carmel

News

Tiger Woods to tee off on new design for South Shore and Jackson Park courses

News

Temporary bleachers could lead to new era for MC sports

News

2nd floor project nears completion

• News

New year, new leadership for Student Council

News

“Wide-eyed” frosh begin their journey

News

Father-Son Dinner features Lester Munson

News

The Pep Rally

News

March for Life makes a comeback

News

Sr. Hurley leaving after decades of service