• Caravan reaches 50% of Walkathon goal: earns free day on 4/18

Filed under News

Spirit week brings community together

Spirit Week is a time when Mount Carmel students can get a break from their daily school routines. Each day has a different dress code theme:  Monday was jersey day, Tuesday was tropical day, Wednesday was college wear, Thursday  (for St. Baldrick’s) was the “wearin’ of the green,” and Friday was class colors for the “Just Because Games.”

Each day also had a special afternoon activity.

Monday featured basketball in the Alumni Gym; seniors played freshmen, and juniors played sophomores in the initial round.  Then, the winning classes – seniors and sophomores competed for the honor of playing faculty in the final.

In the final, the MC faculty ended up beating the seniors in a close game.

Tuesday’s activity was intramural floor hockey.  The plan was for the winning class team to play the faculty.  Unfortunately, time ran out before the winning seniors could face that challenge.

On Wednesday, students enjoyed the Taste of MC, at which various sports and acivity clubs supplied food.  To get the food students purchased tickets for $1 each, with each food item typically costing no more than two tickets.

In many ways, Thursday’s St. Baldrick’s Day event was the most important of the week, as students signed up to shave their head bald and in so doing raised funds for pediatric cancer research.  Over $20,000 was raised.

One of the highlights of the event was the announcement of the “Kevin Hansen Green Jacket Award,” voted on by students and faculty.  The award honors a legendary MC teacher who personified the values of a “Man of Carmel.”  Mr. Mark Antonietti was this year’s winner.

Friday’s “Just Because Games” revived a long-standing tradition of crazy competitions between classes. Events included “dizzy races,” “Stand Your Ground,” and tug of war.  By the end of the week the MC student body had come together as a family to enjoy a great week of events.

About the Writer
Marcos Cid, Staff Writer

Marcos Cid attends Mount Carmel High School and plays soccer. He is 16 years old and a few of his goals are to be a good student and to be the best student-athlete...

Spirit week brings community together