Take journalism

Zack Pasciak (on right) joined fellow Caravan staffers Jack Lockard (seated) and Conor Langs during a visit to the office of Chicago Tribune Standards Editor Margaret Holt.

Near the end of sophomore year, we received our course selection sheet for the next year. My schedule was basically set, except for whatever elective I chose to take. I remember asking around to see what all my friends were taking to see if any of those classes interested me. I talked to Jake Gurgevich, a junior that I knew, about what he was taking, and he told me about Journalism. I enjoyed writing, so I decided to take the class.

The first day of class junior year, I walked into the room, and found there were only four other guys in the class. The first day, you receive your username and password for the school’s newspaper, which made me feel pretty important. I can still remember the first article I ever wrote: it was a new faculty profile on Ms. Caitlin Sherlock. I had to interview her, which scared me, but the class prepared me well for it and now I am a better speaker than ever before.

In February, we visited the Chicago Sun-Times and the Chicago Tribune and sat in on an editorial meeting at each. It was probably one of the most interesting field trips I have ever taken at Mount Carmel. The way that journalists work is intriguing to watch, and I’ll definitely remember it.

I’ve learned a lot in journalism, from understanding how to make a good headline (which was, honestly, one of the hardest parts for me), to understanding that “plain old plurals don’t need no stinking apostrophe!” (thank you, Mr. Vrechek), to even learning that Billy Goat Tavern has some of the best burgers in the city. Everything I’ve learned will help me to grow and to succeed in my future (even the burgers, in case I ever get hungry downtown).

So if you are looking for an elective to take in your upcoming years, take Journalism/newspaper. It’s a lot of fun, and you get a chance to write for the best on-line high school newspaper in town, mccaravan.org.