• Eight Caravan wrestlers advance to IHSA Finals

Filed under Sports

Caravan swimmers dive into the season

Mount Carmel swimming pool in the basement of the school

The Mount Carmel swim team is off to a solid start this season.  According to Coach Matthew McGuire, the team has been improving “rapidly,”  as many individual swimmers have been improving their times and distances.

This year, Mr. Dominic Scheuring joined the team as an assistant coach. He is happy he joined the team and enjoys the “great environment.”

The coaches have set some goals for this season, such as improving each swimmer’s times, building endurance and developing a new stroke or two.  Of course, the major goal is to qualify for state. In order to achieve those goals, the coaches have instituted morning weight lifting, new to the athletes this season.

Scheuring, who focuses mainly on the JV, admires swimmers such as Kenny Jara for endurance and form, Miles Murphy for speed, and Jabril McGee for his form and leadership.

On the varsity level, McGuire is proud of the work of one of the best swimmers, Pete Vandeveld, who was very close to qualifying for the state 100m butterfly las season.  Scheuring agrees with McGuire, adding that if Vandeveld keeps working hard, he will keep improving.

McGuire noted that one of the most improved swimmers is Max North, who has added many strokes to his repertoire while posting better times.  Scheuring and McGuire also see great potential in freshman Anthony Moreno, who already is “a solid swimmer.”

Good luck to the Caravan swim team for the rest of the season.

About the Writer
Nick Gulotta, Staff Writer

Nick Gulotta is a junior at Mount Carmel High School in Chicago, Illinois. Gulotta grew up in Lansing, where he attended Memorial Junior High School. Gulotta...

Caravan swimmers dive into the season