• Caravan volleyball & baseball compete for regional championships this weekend

Filed under Sports

Redic earns Lawless Award for basketball

Having recently hit the 20 win mark, it’s clear that Mount Carmel basketball has shown a lot of improvement over last season. A big part of this year’s success can be attributed to senior Josh Redic’s.  Redic’s outstanding season recently earned him recognition as this year’s Chicago Catholic League Lawless Award.

The Lawless Award, named after legendary Fenwick High School star Tony Lawless, is awarded to the outstanding player in each varsity sport.   MC Varsity Basketball Coach Phil Segroves felt that Redic was a worthy recipient.

“Redic leads the younger teammates and the (whole) team by being the leading scorer.”

Segroves has coached Josh for two years, and noted that Redic really grew from his junior year to his senior year. “Josh got a lot bigger and his game showed immediate improvement.” Another attribute Segroves was quick to point out is Redic’s work ethic.

Segroves feels that with leaders like Redic, MC has a good shot to clinch the IHSA Regional Tournament this week.  However, he doesn’t want to “rush it,” meaning the team will take the games one by one.

About the Writer
Marcos Cid, Staff Writer

Marcos Cid attends Mount Carmel High School and plays soccer. He is 16 years old and a few of his goals are to be a good student and to be the best student-athlete...