• Caravan reaches 50% of Walkathon goal: earns free day on 4/18

Filed under Features

Carmel leaps ahead in technology

Back to Article
Back to Article

Carmel leaps ahead in technology

The hub of technology at MC is the server room, located between G202 and G204. (photo credit: Kris Rokita)

Kristian Rokita

Kristian Rokita

Kristian Rokita

Technology has advanced at MC, and although some believe a traditional textbook and notebook style of learning still ha value, students are becoming more comfortable with technology as an essential tool in a contemporary classroom.

Technology gives the students hands on experience and an opportunity to use their imagination and creativity. The renovated classrooms on the second floor and third floors feature smart boards and writable wall surfaces to keep a young student focused.

Students use a personal device and stay connected to teachers through google classroom, which is a way to get updated on assignments, notes and upcoming exams. Not only can notes be typed, but students can use a stylus and write their notes, essential for math. This is awesome to see as it is more entertaining for some students than a typical notebook. It also cuts down on the need to carry multiple textbooks from class to class.  Senior Matt Martinez, for one, prefers walking around with one laptop, and surely many students agree.

MC also has a Robotics Club in which students collaborate to create a functioning robot. Mr. Caribee Collier and Dr. Michael Rogers moderate this club and are working hard to advance the program. There are competitive tournaments where MC’s robot is challenged by other schools. This exposure is great for the school, and students are learning a great deal on how to work together and apply their knowledge.

“Doc” Rogers also teaches a computer science class in which students learn various tools that are becoming very relevant to a modern student. The course covers 3D printing, animation, coding and video production. Not only does it keep students engaged, but it prepares them to pursue a career in technology.

MC has come a long way since the days of chalk boards, rows of desks, and paper notebooks. Carrying textbooks and notebooks is somewhat outdated, and students much prefer a lightweight tablet or laptop. Numerous classes and extra curricular opportunities are shining new light on possible careers, but also keeping students engaged and focused. The world is changing and MC is milestones ahead.

About the Writer
Kristian Rokita, Staff Writer

Kristian Rokita grew up on the South Side in the Bridgeport neighborhood with two older brothers, Matt and Nick. Playing multiple sports including hockey,...

• Carmel leaps ahead in technology

Features

Which test is best for you ACT or SAT?

• Carmel leaps ahead in technology

Features

Lights, Camera, Fashion!

• Carmel leaps ahead in technology

Features

Hooked on travel

• Carmel leaps ahead in technology

Features

Apex Legends and others Battle Royale games taking over

• Carmel leaps ahead in technology

Features

MC soccer bonds over Champions’ League

• Features

Not your ordinary day

• Carmel leaps ahead in technology

Features

A high school senior’s biggest challenge: the college application process

• Features

What will Mount Carmel be in 10 years?

• Features

With e-days, who needs school?

• Carmel leaps ahead in technology

Features

MC Alum visits 21st Century Media Class

Carmel leaps ahead in technology