• Caravan reaches 50% of Walkathon goal: earns free day on 4/18

Filed under Opinion, Showcase

Tennis team deserves better home court

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tennis team deserves better home court

MC tennis faces an uphill challenge playing on substandard courts at Jackson Park.  (photo credit:  Matthew Martinez)

MC tennis faces an uphill challenge playing on substandard courts at Jackson Park. (photo credit: Matthew Martinez)

The tennis courts in Jackson Park, where MC plays its home matches, are in horrible condition. There are nine courts and only three or four are even playable.

Even on one of the “playable” courts, there are cracks so deep in the playing surface that when the ball hits them, it bounces in a different direction. During the team’s last match against Brother Rice, the ball hit the cracks many times, and players on both teams lost many points because of it.

Two of the nets on the playable courts at Jackson Park are not even set up properly. Instead of a taut horizontal line, there is a two inch dip in the middle of the nets which creates a slight “U” shape.  MC players are so used to practicing and playing with these nets that when we face other teams at their courts or in the CCL tournament, our shots always seem to skim the top of the net.

It is very frustrating, because when MC visits other schools like Providence, Brother Rice, and Montini, which have tennis courts on campus, they all are kept in great condition.

Typically, playing at “home” should be an advantage.  Ironically, although we play only a few away games this year, we look forward to playing on the other team’s courts. We know they will be much better than ours.

During the first couple of weeks of the season, MC practiced at XS Tennis, indoor tennis courts that are very nice. Even though it would not benefit them directly, this year’s seniors have suggested to Coach Rodgers that in the future, the team should schedule its home matches there where it is nicer than our courts at Jackson Park.

Hopefully in the future the Mount Carmel tennis team will have the opportunity to practice and play on better tennis courts.

About the Writer
Matthew Martinez, Staff Writer

Matthew Martinez, born in Chicago, goes to Mount Carmel High School on the South Side of Chicago. He went to grade school at St. John the Baptist in Whiting,...

• Tennis team deserves better home court

Opinion

Terrorism leads New Zealand to change gun laws

• Opinion

Private schools offer benefits

Opinion

Voting age to 16

Opinion

Homework, a student’s kryptonite

Opinion

Gatorade vs Powerade, let’s settle this

• Opinion

MC alums bring energy, ideas to mayoral race

Opinion

The downfall of professional sports: all-star games

• Opinion

New cafeteria policy brings an end to long lines, but uproar from students.

Opinion

Dreaming of a four day school week

Opinion

Don’t miss your chance to shape the future

Tennis team deserves better home court