• Caravan embraces summer vacation

Sister Therese O’Sullivan’s dedication to the poor thrives even after 33 years

Sister Therese O'Sullivan spoke with Caravan reporters  Conor Langs '17 and Jack Lockard '17 about her ministry at the House of Hope.

Sister Therese O'Sullivan spoke with Caravan reporters Conor Langs '17 and Jack Lockard '17 about her ministry at the House of Hope.

Mount Carmel has been in existence for 116 years. The community around our school has evolved during that history. Remnants of the Columbian Exposition were still evident when our school started. The 63rd Street El and commercial area have come and gone. Housing has been demolished; new housing has been built.   

This is the first in a series of Caravan articles dealing with what is going on today in our immediate community. Journalism students have visited and interviewed people at the St. Martin de Porres Center and the First Presbyterian Church which are both within two blocks of us. We intend to bring back stories about how our community continues to evolve and how we at Mount Carmel might assist in serving that community.

George Vrechek, assistant journalism instructor

Throughout her life, Sister Therese O’Sullivan has been passionate in her dedication to Christ and to serving the poor.  A big part of that passion has been dedicated to the St. Martin de Porres House of Hope, located just west of Mount Carmel High School in the Woodlawn community of Chicago.  Because of Sister Therese’s selfless contributions and wise leadership at the facility, thousands of lives have been changed.

Sister Therese’s ministry at St. Martin de Porres began over 33 years ago, when the Mother General of her religious congregation, the Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary, asked her to try to expand her ministry work.  At first she was hesitant, so she prayed for guidance.

Shortly after, she read an article about poverty and the mountainous struggles many individuals face.  This was enough to convince Sister O’Sullivan to co-found the shelter on the South Side of Chicago.  She saw this as the perfect opportunity to “broaden (her) horizons.”

Over the years, the House of Hope slowly transitioned from a homeless shelter to a substance-abuse recovery home.  Residents must choose to receive help from the facility, and they participate in seminars and prayer to jumpstart their recovery.  They are allowed to stay for up to one year.  If the residents have children, they are allowed to stay with them at the facility.  While their mothers are participating in the recovery workshops and classes, children are supervised in the recovery home’s playroom.

Although Sister Therese is now retired, she still resides at the House of Hope and helps in any way she can, aware that her relationships with the residents have strengthened over the years.  “Women have learned to trust me.”

As a neighbor of the House of Hope, Sister Therese acknowledges the help Mount Carmel has given to the facility.  For example, over the years, the Caravan has supplied the House of Hope with breakfast and lunches on a daily basis.

But there are many other needs that could be addressed.  Even with all the help the recovery center receives, Sister Therese notes that tutoring for the women is needed.

Although the road to recovery is not easy, Sister O’Sullivan believes that all the women can see the light at the end of the tunnel. “When they’re treated and loved, they can have a good recovery.”